True Worship Plain & Simple!!! (Part 3)
“Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: For our God is a consuming fire.“
After we have discovered what the first few elements of worship mean to us. They are:
(R)everence will be the subject today. Join us as we speak about the third element of Worship.
In our text we read that reverence is a high form of respect. In fact, Webster’s dictionary defines reverence as:
- honor or respect felt or shown
- a gesture of respect (such as a bow)
- to show devoted deferential honor to
- regard as worthy of great honor
The first verse reminds us that we respect fathers after the flesh but sometimes we fail to respect our Heavenly Father. Why is that?
A. He’s Not Real To Me
I am convinced that many people don’t respect God because they don’t really believe that He is real! When we fail to see God as a real person, we choose to make up our own God and our own righteousness. For instance, when we were younger, we believed in Santa Claus because of the perceived evidence from our parents and others. We saw gifts, from what we believed was Santa Claus, this was the tangible evidence that he existed. However, as we got older and discovered that there was less and less evidence that he did exist and overwhelming evidence that he didn’t we made a choice not to believe. Why? Tangible physical evidence was not present! In your mind, this figure was NOT real because there was no evidence to support his existance. Since there was no tangible evidence to support his existence, there will be no reason to respect this figure. People generally don’t respect what they don’t see! If you meet a person that has a difficult time with respecting God as a being to reverently worship, this person hasn’t had a reality check yet. They are still seeing God as a pie in the sky and some mythical figure that does good to good people and bad to bad people. How do you see God?
B. He Needs To Earn My Respect First
You and I have probably heard this statement at least once in our lives. “I can’t worship a being that allows bad things to happen to good people and bad people to receive good things. He needs to make things fair before I worship Him.” First of all there are several inconsistencies that I find in this statement.
- People will respect a person whom that have never met or even known because of his/her position even if they aren’t right. The will give them the benefit of the doubt. Don’t believe me? Watch this! What about Police, Paramedics and Public figures. People will actively obey and even submit to these people with no questions asked. Why? They respect their authority and their positions even if they don’t really care for the individual.
- So when we hear people say the aforementioned statement, it is because one of two reasons:
- They are either actively rejecting God on purpose because they refuse to except Him or
- They are either ignorantly rejecting God passively because they can’t see His mighty hand due to their life in darkness.
When we offer a time of reverence to God The Father and our Savior Jesus Christ we should consider the following items:
- Respect God’s Laws – Psalms 119:6 “Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.”
- Respect God’s Ways Even If You Don’t Understand Them – Psalms 119:15 “I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.”
- Do What He Asks – John 14:15 “If ye love me, keep my commandments.”
- Fear God With Righteous Fear – Ecclesiastes 12:13 “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.”
- Keep Yourself Low And Lift Him High – Luke 14:11 “For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.“
- Continually Praise His Name – Hebrews 13:15-16 “By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name. But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.”
When we do these things, we will begin to see God as more than just a mythical creature but as a real person that has feelings and plans for your life. Reverence is an essential part of worship that many Christians claim to have in worship but refuse to display in their daily lives. We live as if God has put His seal of approval upon our lives and has blessed our sins! I assure you that God still sees sin as sin! God help us if we disrespect God and His laws! However, there is grace and mercy today for us if we repent and seek His face in a humble manner. In tomorrow’s devotional we will talk about what many people do incorrectly in worship. Join us again as we address real life issues wit biblical answers on Worship With Willie.