Mr. Depression’s Closest Friends (Part 4)
“For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey. Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents. And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two. But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord’s money. After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them. And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more. His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them. His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed: And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine. His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed: Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury. Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents. For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath. And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
Mr. Depression’s reach includes his immediate family but also extends to his closest friends that have equally devastating powers. They have a specific method of attacking the believer in a very specific way. This week we will take time to expose their methods and share tactics to counter these attacks. Join us as we meet Mr. Depression’s Closest Friends.
Meet Close Friend Caution & Former Friend Reason
Mr. Depression’s Close Friend Caution (CFC) is a person that all people have daily conversations with and even consult with in every situation in which they participate. Unlike all the other friends of Mr. Depression, (CFC) is the excepted friend of believers and non-believers alike because he allows them to make excuses for not stepping out by faith. (CFC) makes believers unwilling to step out by faith in situations because in the mind of the believer, the situation is illogical with their own reasoning.
Mr. Depression’s Former Friend Reason (Mr. R) is an individual that is on the other side of caution that speaks logically to the unbeliever and the young believer. His main tactic is to get people to trust in humanistic reasoning. His number one tool is academic education and humanistic reasoning. People will generally deny the things of God because they give ear to (Mr.R’s) words because they sound reasonable and don’t make them accountable to God.
Close Friend Caution
(CFC) has some strong-old on certain people while not having a foothold on others. Why? There are three reasons:
- Overly Protective Loved Ones -Some parents or loved ones are so overly cautious that they put their children into a world of extreme caution. This makes them adopt the same worries, fears and insecurities of their parents. In the beginning this may seem reasonable for the parents but this can actually make their children horribly cautious to even trust God.
- For Example -If parents spend inordinate periods of time sheltering their children from the world and not explaining what things are right and wrong then most children will be at an extreme disadvantage. If a parent refuses to allow children to learn how to operate computers or technology because of the fear that the will defile themselves the children will be seriously behind when they have to utilize these skills.
- Operation From Their Comfort Zones – Because the children of the overly protective parents learned how to be cautious of everything they have developed their own comfort zones. In essence, their sheltered life has thrusted them into a life that makes them easily offended. This in turn makes them return back o their friendly comfort zones.
- For example – Some people reuse to go door to door witnessing because they are afraid of meeting people that don’t have a polished exterior. In shot, they aren’t willing to go into dirty situations, hear foul language or even see inappropriate situations. Need I remind you that Jesus ate and sat with sinners in order to win them. The Pharisees sat off at a distance and were critical of Jesus doing this but it was very effective. You will never have a diamond unless you dirty finding it.
- Obsessively Rejecting Things That Are New – This happens when people tend to live in a bubble, adapt a comfort zone and now reject thing that they don’t understand because it is out of their comfort zone.
- For Example – A church member suggests that the church look into handing television sets into the church so that announcements can be broadcast and for the points to messages can be seen on the screen. Because this idea is new and radical, the pastor may say “This is not the way that we have always done it so let’s keep it they way we ave always done it.” The fear of change keeps people in this state.
(CFC) loves to make people live in bubbles and fear coming out of their comfort zones to do things in order to help others. Most of the time people that listen (CFC) will say this:
- I haven’t been called to do that – Everyone is called to witness. Mark 16:15
“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.”
Obeying God rather than not obeying God is better for you and all of those to whom you have reached out to with the gospel.
Former Friend Reason
(Mr. R) is a person that likes to mostly attack non-believers and young no-mature believers. He likes to throw around what you have learned in an attempt to disprove the existence of God. The reason why this person is a former friend of Mr. Depression is because they don’t cause depression until something goes wrong in their lives. While (Mr. R) is having people learn about human reasoning and academic logic, he is slowly seducing them into denying God. So when problems arise, which they will, Mr. R has them to fall back on their own reasoning to figure it out. She of the tools that (Mr. R) uses are:
- Look At History – He tells them that no other person in history did what Jesus did so how can He be who He says He is. Well the bible tells us this: John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” There is only One Son of God that is Begotten and His name is Jesus. History cannot find another person like Jesus because God sent Him and ONLY HIM!
- The Bible Is Not True Nor Is It Accurate – He tells them to research and study to disprove this document because if it is true then we are accountable to God. However, there is one major flaw in his reasoning. All of his studying that makes everyone do, there is no substantial proof that indicates that he can disprove the bible.
- If God Is Real They Why Doesn’t He Intervene – I actually like it when people ask this question because they are seeking an intelligent answer but their own “intelligence” will make them look foolish. This is consistent with 1 Corinthians 1:27
“But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;” The true answer to this question is to ask them a question that will answer their own question wit their own logic. I usually ask them “If you feel God is’t real, then why don’ you intervene?” This not only puts them on the spot but it establishes their true mindset. If they say “It’s not my place” the you have them because they are complaining about something that they don’t even care about. If they say “I don’t have the power to do anything about that” then again you have them because they are admitting that things are out of their control and others have more power than they. This will lead up to establishing that God is a supreme being with all power; God is omnipotent! Lastly, if they say “I believe that things happens just by chance and that one cannot control them.” then again this is a verbal trap for them. I have used these comebacks:
- “So you expect a Holy God to intervene when you don’t believe He will. That’s like seeing a house on fire and calling a fire department with an imaginary phone.”
- “So I guess you just live by the seat of your pants without a schedule or even ay semblance of time. What will happen if you tell your boss that since I cannot control my actions or behavior I believe that I will get promoted, because I live my life by chance.”
This world wants to believe in God but they don’t want to follow his rules and further more be in subjection to Him. We all have a sin nature and love our pet sins and like to hide them; oh yes, how well do we all hide our secret sins. Mr. Depression and his Five Close friends all do a very good job at taking our eyes and minds off of God and putting it onto things that self-gratify. Today in your life, I hope that you learn the top tricks of Mr. Depression and his friends and family and hopefully avoid them as you yield to Jesus Christ. In our ext series we will discuss The Foes OF Mr. Depression. Join us again as we address real life issues with biblical answers on Worship With Willie.