Are You Spiritually Bi-Polar? (Part 2)
“Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful. For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.”
I am not a medical doctor, nor an I a Licensed Social Worker with an advanced degree in Psychiatry. This devotional is NOT intended to provide a medical diagnosis or a clinical evaluation. This devotional is a private analysis from a spiritual point of view. In now way shape form or fashion am I seeking to evaluate, diagnose, predict psychiatric emergencies or suggest that one discontinues prescribed medication. This devotional is a spiritual analysis and intended to be consumed in a spiritual method.
This week we will cover this topic in a spiritual eye and hopefully give you tools to over come Spiritual Bi-Polarity.
I. DEPRESSIVE BEHAVIOR
Depressive Behavior is a condition that is very difficult to diagnose because there aren’t symptoms that you compare to show that this person is depressed. The common cold or the flu has symptoms that one could use like a breadcrumb trail but depression isn’t like that in a sense. Depressive behavior can come on people and remain for an undetermined amount of time. This “mood” seemingly comes upon people from an unknown source and remain until proactive measures are taken to combat this disorder. There are a few things, however, that we can use as guides to direct us to clue in to possible depressive behavior.
- Eating Less – most medical doctors will tell you that when people are happy or are in a happy place emotionally they will consume food. Spiritually, when a person displays depressive or emotional trauma, the very thing that they need is usually the last thing that they seek. Consuming less of God’s Word in a spiritually depressed state will open you up to possible spiritual oppression and give you a gloom and doom outlook. People that eat less tend to loose weight and become very snappy at others. When one fails to consume God’s Word regularly, they begin to loose their effectiveness. When they were once grounded and weighted down by God’s promises, they are like Ephesians 4:14 “That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;”. This is why it’s very important to consume God’s Word regularly!
- Sleeping Less – when people are confronted with a problem for which they do not have the immediate answer,the ponder and mediate over that issue until their minds can come up with a logical solution. It’s like a hamster on a wheel in a cage. That animal is locked in a cage on running on a wheel that’s going nowhere. It really doesn’t realize that it’s going nowhere but all it knows is that it’s doing something and this is “for it” helping keep it’s mind off of it’s situation. When we surrender our sleep we do more harm to ourselves! In days of old, the brains of the time used to take naps, when doing with a tough problem, then they would awake refreshed with a clear head. Spiritually, when we give up sleep we set up ourselves for failure. The bible tells us that those that fail to sleep adequate amounts usually are afraid of something. If they fall asleep they worry about not solving the issue so they punish themselves by not sleeping. Te bible tells us Proverbs 3:24 “When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet.” God has already given us this but we ourselves deny ourselves this sweetness because of our stubbornness.
- Complaining – when people begin to succumb to depressive behavior they will see everything with negative tented glasses or contacts. Every little pain will instantly make them believe that they have a life threatening illness and that others should show them sympathy. If others do not give them attention in this way, they could begin to act out and go further into a depressive mood. Spiritual complaining will come when one does not spend time with someone that has the ability to correct their behavior. Yes, when one does not spend time alone with God, they will begin to adopt a complaining spirit and a critical spirit. A critical spirit is harder to get victory over than a 10 year smoking habit. Mark it down, when someone complains about everything, you can rest assured that this person hasn’t spend time alone with God.
- Isolation – one of the most pronounced indications of depression is the desire for a person to be isolated from friends, family and others. The depressed person exhibits anti-social behavior and has no desire to interact with others. Most people say that they feel as if people will judge them for missing events or even that behaving in a specific way. Spiritually, this happens all of the time! When a person gets into sin, they withdraw themselves from all spiritual events. Some say that they feel as if other are judging them for their actions or lack of social spiritual involvement. Isolation is one of the tools that the devil uses to trap Christians so that he can prey upon them without mercy.
- Apathy – this means that one will begin to “give-up” on things that were once important to them. Because their priorities have changed, due to emotional issues they don’t care about things anymore. They adopt an “I can’t win anyways, so why try” attitude. Once this happens, they will not want to be involved or even have a desire to live. 1 Peter 5:8 “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:”. This verse has been explained as the devil running you down and destroying you but one could be destroyed slowly destroyed without even being touched by the enemy.
Depression is a serious condition in which people can endure but with the proper treatment, one can overcome this issue and assume regular life. This can only be achieved by life in Christ and submitting yourself to Him. In tomorrow’s devotionals we will talk about living with spiritual bi-polarity. Join us again as we address real life issues with biblical answers on Worship With Willie.