The Power Of Light & Dark (Part 4)
II Corinthians 4:4
“In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.”
In our world today there is a battle that is taking place under the noses of Christians and nonbeliever alike. This battle is happening in the secret places of man’s mind and in the stony places of men and women’s hearts. This battle is the battle between light and dark; good and evil. The dark one, which is satan, seeks to extinguish the lights in the hearts of man by blinding our minds with the things of this present world. This blinding makes us forget the presence of God and desire this present world.
In this series, we will discuss three questions that frequently arise when it comes to dealing with those that have been blinded or those seeking to break free from the darkness. One must ask these though provoking questions:
- How does the god of this world blind their minds?
- How does this method, of blinding, make so many so loyal to him?
- How can we escape this great deception?
- How does he enslave so many Christians?
- How can words in a book, the bible, give me victory over something that medicine, science, counseling or will power cannot?
Join us as we break the strongholds of besetting and secret sins in this new series: The Power Of Light & Dark.
IV. HOW DOES HE ENSLAVE SO MANY CHRISTIANS?
My grandmother once told me that the best way to cook a live animal like a frog or a lobsters to do three things. First, place them into an environment where they are comfortable. Secondly, give them things that they desire from their original environment so that they are less likely to exit their new environment. Lastly, gradually change their comfortable environment so that the think that once gave them comfort now destroys them without their knowledge.
The devil wants to destroy us but he doesn’t always desire to make us fall or sin right this minute. Why? Because the bible shows that satan’s top quality is creativity and patience. He knows that if he persists long enough that we will crumble and fall away from God’s arms of protection. This leads us to ask our focus question today. How does satan enslave so many Christians?
This question can be answered by providing this simple scripture; Galatians 4:3 “Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world:” Did you see the key phrase? Let’s show the key phrase: “in bondage under the elements of the world:”. The word element means a component or part of the whole as in the building block of an item. An element is an essential part of item needed for it to thrive. The devil knows this and uses elements in our lives to influence us to follow his sinful ways. Here are a few honest things that the devil uses in our lives to cause us to renounce our power with God.
- Relationships – We all need relationships and contact with others. God said that in the garden of eden. Genesis 2:18 “And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.” We require these connections but they can influence us forget God’s.
- Family – Too many family events can take our mind and heart away from serving God.
- Friends – Hanging out with your friends instead of spending time in the presence of God.
- Foes – Spending time thinking or worrying about how others have hurt you or how you will hurt them will make you too angry to even consider God.
- Real Life – We all have to deal with real life and the issues therein. Here are a few issues in real life that tend to blind us.
- Career – Too much time is focused on work but no time is focused on souls or scripture reading.
- Cash – Too many time people focus on bills, money and promotions that they miss church or even neglect to pay tithes and offerings.
- Clothing/Cars & Castles – They will focus on material things and neglect spiritual things.
Spending time focusing on things that will never help you spiritually will only make it easier for the devil to put you in a prison of self gratification. When we get into this position, we will never see the heat of bondage until we have been cooked in satan’s pressure cooker. In tomorrow’s devotional we will share the last aspect of light and dark. Join us again as we address real life issues with biblical answers on Worship With Willie.