“Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”
This week as we look forward to our long weekend, many of us look at this time of year differently than others. There are many of us that see this weekend as just another weekend with an additional day attached to it while others see it as a time to remember fallen loved one. Even still some see this as a time to remember close friends and buddies that shared the hardships of military life together battling adversity. However, we see it, lets all remember that we as Americans should display: Pride, Personal Devotion & Patriotism.
- Pride – There are two kinds of pride that we should know about. The bible admonishes us many time about the importance of remaining humble and putting off pride. Proverbs 16:18 “Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.” That’s the bad pride that focuses on benefitting self with no intention of helping or reaching others . However, there is a good pride that focuses on improving oneself for the betterment of society and aiding others. Proverbs 16:20 “He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he.” We can take great comfort in handling a situation wisely with good pride.
- Being proud of our nation and what it stand for is something that every American can take great pleasure in as they live and conduct business. Are you proud to be an American? If so, your pride only comes on the blood sweat ad tears of those that have paid the price for it. Cherish it but don’t take it for granted.
- Personal Devotion – As an American citizen, we have duties to those who serve our nation in it’s battles, struggles and unrests.
- Prayer – I Timothy 2:1-3 “I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior.”
- Encouragement – II Samuel 11:25 “Then David said unto the messenger, Thus shalt thou say unto Joab, Let not this thing displease thee, for the sword devoureth one as well as another:make thy battle more strong against the city, and overthrow it:and encourage thou him.” I now that this was done so that David cause conceal his affair but none the less, he encouraged the troops in the battle. How much more should we encourage the defenders of our nation?
- Submission & Unity – Joshua 1:16 “And they answered Joshua, saying, All that thou commandest us we will do, and whithersoever thou sendest us, we will go.” I understand that this verse was used as Joshua communicated with Israel but we should unify to support our troops. I don’t necessarily agree with today’s politics but I do know that we, as Americans, can agree on supporting our troops.
- Patriotism – A deep reverence for our nation, our flag and those who have volunteered to serve it. How does one show patriotism:
Flying The American Flag – This action identifies you with out country. All those who hate our flag are avoid pledging allegiance to it are just as bad as those who burn it.
Voting In Elections – Many brave men and women have bleed, been tortured and died so that you can have the freedom to vote as you choose. To waste that opportunity is un-American & disrespectful to their memories!
Joining The Military – I realize that many people want to join the military and cannot, but supporting them is just as important as signing the contract to serve. Join today or support your local military veteran.
Owning A Gun – Gun ownership is not just for law enforcement, hunter and criminals but for every American citizen. It’s you constitutional right to do so. 95% of Americans that own guns are law abiding & responsible people!
Staying Informed On The News – Although I am not a huge fan of the media, I do take the time to keep up on current events! They have the freedom of speech and press. Thank God for a government that has free speech!
America is great because great people follow a great God. He does great things in the hearts and minds of great and small! Do you know our God? He knows you! In tomorrow’s devotional we will honor our patriots and their families. Join us again as we address real life issues with biblical answers on Worship With Willie.